Sunday, June 14, 2009

weekend/movies

So for this summer i have been and will continue to be working in Worcester at Clark, where i go to school. I have been fortunate enough to locate an affordable living arrangement in worcester so i am not forced to commute an hour westward every morning. I only have to drive out once per week and then i get to come home once per week.

the only unfortunate part of this situation is that i want to spend weekends in worcester with my school friends and people out here but i also feel the urge to come home and spend time with family/highschool friends/my bed/home cooking. suffice it to say that this weekend was very fun. On Friday my buddy tootsy came over, got high, and played a ton of full tilt with me while we read wayyyy too many old 2+2 threads. He ended up making a small amount of money while running deep but petering out of a number of 10 dollar tournies. I continued my theme of being brutally sucked out on in most of the events which i participated in. For example, i managed to get K9 all in v K8 on a K45 all spades flop. He bet out big and i thought he had a big diamond and so i called. He ended up turn/rivering an 8 high straight. It was nice to experience this sitting next to tootsy so i could assure myself that i was not merely imagining these beats.

My night was extended until around 3:40am due to my final table of a horse mtt which had ~250 entrants. I wound up finishing a frustrating 7th for like 30 bucks which paid for all my buy ins that night. This finish got me to thinking about something that toots brought up on his excellent blog, shoving with air: there is no middle ground in tournament poker. This is a very true statement in my mind. When i enter a mtt with more that 150 people there is very little middle ground as far as prizes are concerned. When paying a 5 dollar buy in i tend to feel that anything under a 100 dollar prize is failure. I suppose that in a large field event with a 600 dollar first prize there might be some middle ground but in a tournament like this horse mtt first place got 300 and 4th got 100. I felt going into that final table, and still do that anything less than 4th palce is a failure while 4th or better is a success. Obviously i would much rather win than come in 4th but i think that in my perception it is easier for me to handle placing 4th as oppose to first rather than 7th as oppose to 1st. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Im not really sure if i explained that as well as i wanted to. I may revisit it in a post or two and try to do a better job.

In other news i saw a phenomenal movie last week which i really enjoyed. It is called Sleepers and came out in 1996. It stars Brad Pitt, Dustin Hoffman, Robert DeNiro, Kevin Bacon, and Demi Moore. Talk about a star studded cast. The movie (which is claimed to be a true story) is about four boys who spend time at a reformatory (jail) in new york and get abused by the guards there (kevin Bacon) and how this impacts their life and future goals and aspirations. This film is gripping, chilling but entertaining, and is one of those movies where i was sad when it ended because i wanted it to continue. All the actors and actresses in this film did great but by far my favorite was DeNiro. He performs his role excellently. In fact watching this film made me want to watch other deniro movies and so i stumbled upon Righteous Kill w/ al pachino which was not worth my time. Do not watch that movie. But do watch sleepers!

2 comments:

  1. "shoving with air"

    The problem with this is that the players are so bad, they call with just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zach, I hope you've seen "Scent of a Woman". Since it is a little before our time, you may have not. But awesome Pacino movie. Whoooo AHHH

    ReplyDelete