Monday, June 29, 2009

Tournament poker is so sick

Ok, Start this off......

I was going to post a trip report of my seabrook adventure but toots did such a good job i didnt want to just copy him.

Ive kind of dissapeared for the last week or so but thats becuse i havent played a ton of online poker for a couple of reasons....first was i had a couple bad sessions in a row which left a sour taste in my mouth. Secondly my good friend Jeff came home from FL and almost every day was spent chilling with him and my other friends.

Well tonight i came back to worcester and had the apartment to myself so i decided to play some online mtts. i settle in for a long night with a 3 dollar double stack and a 3 dollar ko turbo. I ended the turbo getting 3 outed about 20/40 spots from the money. standard.

In the double stack, which first place got 400 bucks btw, i started off great and got up to 6k. I bled down to 2k and fought back to starting stack by the first break. The rest of the tourny was me playing with 1/2 avj stack and trying to grind it and wait for a good spot to double up.

I was really proud with the way i played the entire tournament. I was doing a great job stealing and getting value whcih is key in a 6max tournament. Twice i got dealt AA and twice i got a player to put all their chips in with 99. Twice i held. Thats the highlight.

In the mid stages of the tourny i had a 20k stack which was 2/3avj and lost a big pot to go to 10k. I the turned on the aggression and fought back to 30k.

Anyways, with ~20 ppl left i have a 100k stack which is above average. I had just won a couple key pots. Then this hand happens.


Obviously i sucked out on him first but imo i played this hand near perfectly. My call preflop is standard i think with A8 and then when i flop gin im happy. When he bets out i put him on a good ace. I think i just 3 outed him. I really think he had AK,AJ,AT. I had seen him play for ~70 hands and i had a good feeling. When he calls my big raise i think, ive got this guy killed.

The turned kingmakes me put the breaks on becuase i was pretty sure thats what he had. And then when the river falls i basically cant beat anything. Luckily i was left with a workable stack which i promptly built back to 100k.

Well a little while later i was fortunate to ko the 14th player in one of the AA vs99 hands i mentioned above. Unfortunately this put my table at 4handed with two mainiac aggro players. They were 3betting often and making life difficult. I really wanted to tighten up and wait for a good spot but the shortys on the other tables kept doubling and i was bleeding chips with 2k/4k blinds. Anyways i was playing back at the aggros and eventually began openjamming to avoid getting 3bet.

Well my last hadn was 105o. i jam the button and the big blind calls with A9dd, Flop is 1057. The turn is the 8 of diamonds and go ahead and guess what the river was. If i had won that pot and doubled i would have been somewhere in the range of 5/14 with a 170k stack. But anyways i finish a heartbreaking 13th for 16 dollars.

Tournament poker is so sick. Not only do you have to play well and run well but if you lose one goddamn flip or cooler or bad beat towards the end your just screwed. A 3 and a half our marathon of playing really good poker is just wasted.

So goddamn sick. I used to be able to say, its ok b ecuase im just going to win the next one i play. But ive had enough of these near misses. I want to fucking win one of these tournaments. Its about time.

/end rant.

I was going to try and post a tourny report kinda deal but im def not in the mood now. Maybe later tomorrow. Anyways...im probly going to play some tomorrow i really hope it goes well.


Good luck everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment