Friday, July 24, 2009

cash is scary

I log into tilt today and am pleased to find my biggest rakeback bonus ever!

yay

Then i jump on a cash table and make a great river shove


I had his range at like A5-AK And unless he had exactly A5 i didnt think he could call the river. And if he did donk call with A6,7,8,9 i valuetown him.

I then play this hand where i shoved in my stack drawing dead on the turn. He played a draw very trickily on the flop, i thought he was protecting a pair or something. I was wrong.


All in All i ended up getting stacked twice for -40 on the day. Bye bye rakeback and money i won yesterday :(

1 comment:

  1. Two things:

    1) I know youre not 100% comfortable with playing at 25NL regularly but I dont think thats any excuse to not be buying in for a full stack and auto topping off. By not topping off you lose a bunch of money that you could take from donks. As you probably know valuebetting is key to micros so give yourself more to valuebet.

    2) Im not really sure I like the river shove on hand 1. I know you get a fold which is the desired result but I think calling may be better. At higher stakes, this play may look super strong and would like get alot of TPs, two pairs or even sets to fold but at 25NL I think people will still be calling with a bunch of these hands. I dont think he leads the turn with a bare A that you beat. The shove on the riv turns your semi-strong hand into a complete bluff which may not be neccessary. I think there are a couple of other, more reasonable line you could have taken.

    a. Raise the flop: everyone hates the phrase raising for information but I dont mind it in this case. I think it helps you narrow his range down and may give you a free card on the turn. Calling here just leaves you in the dark.

    b. Call the river: your hand still has value by the river and considering the fact that he is betting into us on such a scary board, we may well have the best hand. I dont think hes betting AK, AQ, AJ on the river so if we call were either losing (to a hand that likely calls a shove) or winning (against a hand that likely folds to a shvoe).

    c. Fold the turn: After thinking about it, this may be far to weak/tight but I think its something we should consider since I dont think hes betting out with worse aces. Though there is a chance he has a drawing hand, which we probably have a bunch of equity against.

    ReplyDelete